Production Planning and Control (PPC) may be defined as the regulation of Aircraft Maintenance and Production activities Production Planning and Control is a managerial function.
Many years ago maintenance managers , engineers, Technicians didn’t care about the planning . Nobody did. Technicians came to their working place in the morning and continued doing the jobs they stopped the day before. complexity of the demands imposed on aircraft maintenance are increased, Workload was assumed to increase.
Number of even and interaction between tasks during standard checks constraints maintenance organization to adopt different task-performance strategies. the workload imposed by one task may interfere with the performance of other « concurrent » activities. It was time to reorganize the engineering function and make it more efficient. Of course, ideas about change are never popular.
Scheduling maintenance tasks for a fleet of aircraft is one of the most challenging problems at a maintenance organization. Planning for three or four aircrafts is simple. But, the bigger the fleet, the bigger the problems. Scheduling maintenance tasks requires Continuous re-estimation of short and mid–term plans, re-prioritization, or task re-allocation in response to changes in fleet status, changes in work force and resource availability, or modifications to flight plans. Scheduling maintenance tasks requires Continuous re-estimation of short and mid–term plans, re-prioritization, or task re-allocation in response to changes in fleet status, changes in work force and resource availability, or modifications to flight plans.
* Long term (Capacity planning)
* Medium term (aggregate Planning)
* Short term (operational planning)
Is depending of type of activities and/or market but generally speaking:
Long term (capacity planning) is commonly done for 5 years ahead or more (Anticipation of markets, Purchase of materials , training of staff ...).
Strategic and business issues.
* It should be based on accurate data, (historical data -for example, historical price, price/earnings ratio, revenues and revenue growth, earnings and earnings growth.
* It must be flexible
* It must satisfy a set of pre-defined objectives as Quality, Human Factors, economy etc...
* It must be simple and straight forward
The production planning must be defined in the time (beginning and end) PPC should be adaptive to respond to change in the different situations customer requirements strategies work load change other possible problems.
Its concept is mainly used in industrial management and production management. In fact, the ERP resides in the computerization and the integration of operational processes and the organism (or organization) support processes. Is a software package which allows to manage the whole functions of a company such as:
* Financial management and accounting
* Distribution and supply
* Management of human resources
* Optimize utilization and productivity to ensure on time delivery of serviceable aircraft.
* Plan and regulate aircraft checks to improve your fleet operations.
* Increase your levels of safety and standards of continued airworthiness.
* Aircraft maintenance must be planned and performed according to prescribed procedures and standards.
* It is very often that an airline has different types of aircraft.
* Each fleet type has a predetermined maintenance program established by the manufacturer.
* Based on the airline mode of operation, experience and culture, the original program is adapted under the national authority approval.
* The maintenance task standards (norms) indicate in which time interval each task must be scheduled and how much time must be spent on each task.